Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Lessons for the Week of October 24-28, 2016

This week I am seeing grades K-2 in the school library media center. I decided to teach some "old school" author and illustrators, people who wrote books back in the '80's and 90's. These books are what I call treasures and I wanted the children to hear these fabulous stories. They are oldies, but definitely goodies.

Kindergarten:

The first author kindergarteners learned about during the month of September and the beginning part of October is Audrey Wood and her husband Don Wood. The Woods worked as a husband and wife team, publishing some of the most beloved children's books of all time, such as The Napping House and King's Bidgood's in the Bathtub. We also read Silly Sally, which kids just truly found hilarious.



For this week, I decided to focus on the author/illustraor Peggy Rathmann. She did the illustrations for the book, Bootisie Barker Bites, written by Barbara Bottner. I fell in love with this book when I first became a school librarian over 20 years ago and I am so glad that the book is still being published. The book is about  Bootsie Barker who bullies a little girl and the little girl uses her wits to beat Bootsie at her own game.

The book that is on my list of top 10 best children's books of all time is Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathmann. It won the Caldecott Award back in 1996. The illustrations are marvelous and to show students the details of the pictures, I use my document camera to zoom in on the numerous safety tips that Officer Buckle dishes out to the students at Napville School.



1st and 2nd Grade

1st and 2nd grade will be learning to use My Capstone Library. My Capstone Library are interactive eBooks that Spring Valley purchases for students to read here at school and at home. So far our school owns 117 eBooks through Capstone and the goal is to add 30 to our collection every school year.

http://www.mycapstonelibrary.com/login/index.html





No comments:

Post a Comment